by helpGuy - Duration: 02:19
Ask by: SH
Difference between ice-cream, gelato and sorbet ?
August 20th, 2013
Ice-cream, gelato and sorbet, all 3 can be made at home. Mentioned below are some quick and easy recipes which can be tried at home.
Ice cream is frozen desert made from milk and cream . It has a lot many different flavors including fruits, coffee, chocolate, mint etc, depending upon the preference. Air is incorporated in the mixture during the whipping process and it makes it light and fluffy.
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Chocolate chip/chopped walnuts/peanuts (optional)
1. Combine cream, milk, sugar, vanilla extract in a sauce pan and heat until sugar is dissolved.
2. Add chocolate chip or any other nut at this stage.
3. Freeze the mixture in an air tight container for 6 hours then take out the mixture and churn it in an ice-cream maker as per the machines instructions.
4. Freeze the ice-cream once again for 12 hours. Ice-cream is ready to be served when chilled completely.
It is the Italian version of the ice-cream. Gelato and ice-cream have the same basic ingredients including milk and cream but Gelato is more dense then ordinary ice-cream and has more intense flavors. Its recipe also includes egg yolks which gives it a more dense texture. It requires less air in its whipping process.
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
2 cups full cream milk
1 2″-piece cinnamon stick
Pinch of salt
6 egg yolks
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Heat 3/4 cup sugar, cinnamon and butter in wide saucepan until sugar melts and it becomes crisp. Let it cool and break into small pieces.
2. Now combine milk , cinnamon stick and salt and bring to a boil and let it cool for 20 min.
3. Whisk remaining sugar and egg yolks.
4. Mix together the egg mixture, cream, vanilla and milk and return the saucepan over medium heat and cook until mixture thickens.
5. Freeze the Gelato before churning it in the ice cream maker for 6 hours.
6. Fold in the crispy cinnamon sugar pieces.Gelato is ready when chilled.
Sorbet is also a frozen dessert but very different from ice-cream and gelato. It is made from fruit puree and sometimes might include the flavorings of different herbs and spices. Sorbet is also whipped which makes it lighter , but there is no milk in the recipe.
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 Lemon zest
1/2 cup lemon juice
1. Heat sugar water and lemon zest in a sauce pan until sugar is completely dissolved. Turn off the heat.
2. Now cut the mangoes in small cubes and put it the blender along with sugar water, lemon juice and salt and blend until smooth.
3. Pour the mixture in an air tight container and refrigerate for 12 hours. Sorbet is ready to be served when chilled.
Hope this answers your question.
New User? Register Now